What Is The Order Of Procession For A Wedding Ceremony?
You are planning the wedding of your dreams. A mix between tradition and what makes you happy. But we are often asked what is the order of procession for a wedding ceremony? You probably know the bride walks down the aisle last, but everything before that can get confusing. We are here to help you with general, traditional guidelines for who walk first, who walk next, and who can walk together. Follow this tutorial for the wedding processional order and everyone will be happy.
- Traditionally, the mother of the bride walks down the aisle first and then takes a seat in the first row. In Jewish weddings, it is customary for the mother of the bride and the father of the bride to walk the bride down the aisle together later.
- The bride’s grandparents can also be a part of the wedding processional, and then take a seat in the first row.
- The groom’s grandparents will typically follow the bride’s grandparents, taking a seat on the groom’s side of the wedding.
- Bridesmaids and groomsmen can walk down separately, or you may pair them together. Often brides choose to pair up bridesmaids and groomsmen. Once down the aisle, the groomsmen will line up at the altar next to the groom, and the bridesmaids will stand next to where the bride will stand for the wedding ceremony.
- The best man follows the bridesmaids and groomsmen and can walk down alone or with the maid of honor. He may also be the ring bearer for some weddings, and will stand next to the groom at the altar.
- Should you choose to have the maid of honor walk down separately, they should follow the best man. They will stand next to you at the altar, and will hold your wedding bouquet.
- The groom walks down the aisle next, and can walk down alone or escorted by his mother and father to the wedding ceremony.
- The officiant may enter now, or they may choose their place in the ceremony based on their tradition. They may select the option of approaching the altar from the side of the room with the groom or may choose to be the first of the processional before the grandparents of the bride. You can speak with your officiant about their preferences when you meet prior to the wedding.
- Every wedding’s much loved ring bearer and then flower girl proceeds next. The flower girl is typically the last one to walk down the aisle before the bride.
- Finally, the bride walks down the aisle last to her wedding with her father or other escort that will give her away. The father of the bride will lift the bride’s veil and kiss her before the bride approaches the groom at the altar.